Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Gullible returns

My time is coming to an end.
I am sitting in London's Heathrow airport, awaiting my connection to Seattle. I have been up since 5am, it is now 2pm, London time, and I have 9 1/2 hours of travel left before I arrive in Seattle at 4:30 in the afternoon. I am tired. Michelle and I had an incredible week in Paris and a great day in Budapest, now a city illuminated by warm sunlight and full of green parks and tree-lined streets, unlike the snow-covered landscape I left in March.
I am a little too worn out to write and be creative, so I've decided to just quote my most recent journal entry, finished just several hours ago:

'...I am going home! How can it be over? Wasn't I just on China Air, forcing down noodle soup, heading to India? My backpack is dirtier, my shoes smell worse and my hair is longer...what else has changed? In my first entry on this journey [in my journal] I asked myself, 'why am I doing this?' and accepted that the answer would come in time. Well...has it?...'
I then go into a long description of my trip with Michelle to Paris, as I was too busy for any entries during our trip. Throughout the description, I highlight my favorite parts of that week: Picnicing on the lawn of the eiffel tower on our first day. All of night 3 - dinner at the Leo le Lion restaraunt and sharing a bottle of champaigne in front of the eiffel tower, watching it burst into an array of flasing lights that lasted for 10 minutes at the stroke of midnight. During a day trip to Eperney, the capitol of the champagne region, we took a long walk into the hills of grape vines and sat for a long while, talking and overlooking the small town and surrounding region. ...just a few of the highlights of a great trip.
'So...what was the purpose of this trip?...maybe the question still needs time to reveal its answers, or perhaps there is no answer - but, at least for now, I feel I have an idea.'
In the past, my first serious relationship for me came to an end when I spent a summer outside of Bainbridge and the state of Washington, doing a summer program with other kids my age. I was blown away by all the likenesses I shared with such a wide variety of individuals from all over the country. My perspective on the relationship changed and it soon ended. I was also, I should add, a much more selfish person at this point in my life, which also factored into the decision. Now, while together with Michelle, I have travelled around the globe, to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd world. The experiences, those both lonely and not, and the people I met only led me to grow into my love for her more and more. It has broadened my perspective of our relationship in an entirely new light.
Perhaps I also gained a strong, educated world perspective and an overall view of wants, needs and happiness and how those elements do not have to feed off of one another. Maybe this perspective is what I needed to guede me through law school and stay true to my values.
Whatever it has done for me, it's affects are and will continue to be positive. I am happy I made the choice to travel as long as I did and must remind myself to travel throughout my life. It's incredable how meeting and interacting with individuals from around the globe can reveal so much about who you are, put your troubles into wonderful perspective and allow you a fresh ground from which to plant your feet and face your future.

I have enjoyed this writing this blog tremendously. I thank you for reading it and hope you have enjoyed it as well. I plan to continue this blog, most likely less frequently, for a long while to come. For the time being, however: 10-4. Out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home