Monday, May 08, 2006

Biarritz

After another cloudy day in San Sebastian, the highlight of which was a two hour surf I had in fairly lousy conditions, Mike, Kevin and I parted ways as they headed to Paris and I went just across the border into Biarritz, France, for the ''best surfing in Europe.'' On the train north, out the window I caught glimpses of overhead waves peeling in perfect order onto the beaches south of Biarritz. I was suddenly very anxious for my three days in the town. I checked into a hostel north of town that is a 15 minute walk from the beach and rents wetsuits and surfboards. I immediately ran down to the beach and had a look at the surf. As I was walking down the wind was picking up and as soon as I got to the beach the light of day went away as a thick, black cloud moved overhead. Thunder roared and the rain came pouring down. In my sprint back to the hostel, I got turned around in the curvy streets and wound up hitch-hiking back to the hostel. Today I got a decent surf in, though the wind was still on pretty strong. Tomorrow the wind is supposed to die and it should be pretty good. Wednsday morning I head to Paris to meet Michelle. Despite the escape of surfing, I find myself thinking constantly about our upcoming trip...I'm excited, to say the least. Speaking of Michelle, I'm going to try now to post some pictures of our time together in Greece and any others I can manage to get on as well. Sorry these pic.s have taken so long to get on here...that is assuming that I get them to work on this stubborn blog system. 10-4 out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home