Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Lago Atitlan

I got to Lago Atitlan on Saturday night and made my way to the shore-side village of San Pedro. On Sunday I traveled several hours by bus to Chichi, which on Sundays and Thursdays has the biggest market in Central America. I leave in two weeks, so I went prepared to do a little shopping. I figured it was the best time to stock up on some cool house warming presents for my future pad in SF. I also got really into taking pictures at the market.
After three nights in San Pedro, I crossed the lake to San Marcos, where I am currently staying.

Morning coffee in San Pedro

The market in Chichi:










Santiago:




Everything I own is in my friend Lauri´s basement in San Francisco. Lauri lived in Santiago for over ten years, and gave me a letter to deliver to Manuel Reanda, a very well known painter. This is Manuel.


Right now the shores of the lake are lined with an unattractive green algae. It is becoming a large problem and locals are worried it will detract from the tourism industry.


Hanging out at Zoola´s in San Pedro. Space Cakes!!

San Marcos:
Right now I am staying at the house of an older Mexican guy that I met in Flores. He is building, all by hand, what will soon be a hippy haven. You have to hike 40 minutes up the mountain side to get to the place, but it is well worth it. This was my view of the sunrise upon waking up this morning.

The view from Fernando´s

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home