Thursday, November 19, 2009

Full Circle

Leaving Guatemala, it was a two day bus trip to Managua. Fortunately, on the bus was a friend I'd made in Flores, as well as a group of good people, so there was lots of good company for the long trip. I got in to Managua Monday evening and stayed the night with my new buddies in Grenada. The next morning I made the trek to Ometepe, where I stayed for two nights with Alexis Bonoff. The trip to Ometepe was FANTASTIC (thanks Lex!). Alexis, Marina Heppenstall, Alexis' friend Ian and I all had a great time together. I caught the final two days of a week-long festival in Alta Gracias (the town where Lex is living) celebrating San Diego, who apparently is famous for ridding the Island of tree cutter ants.
One of the things Alexis is doing on Omepte is volunteering at Si a la Vida, a rehabilitation project for kids 13-18 who are from the streets of Managua. It is an amazing program. We spent a day with the kids down at the lake. Watching them play in the water was great; they are so full of energy, so full of life. Alexis is providing these kids with lots of love, something it seems they lacked in their early lives.
When I left Guatemala I was operating as though my trip was essentially over, and I was just going to finish my last week the way I started the trip, with sun and surf. In Alta Gracias, Alexis, Marina and I went to the festival's rodeo to watch some Central American style bull riding (meaning a make-shift ring, amateur riders, no medical services available, and two serious injuries in the first 20 minutes). Sitting there, soaking in the sights and sounds of the rodeo, I was filled with the excitement you get from new and exciting experiences in places far from home. I realized there is still so much to see, and still adventures to be had. It was a very nice feeling. That night we partied at a make-shift outdoor club, dancing under the stars to reggae-tone, which has kind of grown on me the last 3 1/2 months. Tons of fun. If I had to sum up my trip in one word, 'fun' would be it.
Now I am back at the Buena Onda resort, where Steve, Kris, Skyler and I spent much of our time in August. The water is a little colder, the waves small, and the whole place rather empty, but it has been great to get back in the water after over two months not surfing.

Waiting for a final bus after a long, sweaty day of travel


Empty Carnival ride




Carnival vendors...Nica style


Prepping dinner at Alexis' office/home.
The San Diego festival parade. They walk down the streets bobbing limbs of trees up and down to symbolize the Island being rid of tree-cutter ants.


This guy was a real cowboy, corralling the bulls with ease. Here he is enjoying one of many beers between bull rides.

Below is a video of the second bull ride I saw. About four or five seconds into it you see the guy nearly get his eye knocked out by the horn of the bull. Lots of blood. The next guy to ride broke his leg (which I also have on video). Crazy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home