Monday, November 23, 2009

Homeward Bound

My time is winding down. Tomorrow morning, after my dawn patrol surf, I will board a bus to Rivas, then transfer to Masaya. In Masaya I will explore Nicaragua's largest artisan market, and maybe fill the remaining space in my backpack with a few items. Wednsday morning I will take a taxi from Masaya to the airport in Managua. I fly into LA and arrive at the same time as my parents flying in from Seattle. We will meet up with Isla, Jared, Luke, and Candice and the whole family will be together for Thanksgiving. I can't imagine a better return to the states. In the days following Thanksgiving I will make my way to SF, how I'm not quite sure, and find a place to live. So I've got a lot to look forward to.
I have had a wonderful trip. Words cannot describe the fun I have had. I have met so many wonderful people along the way, some of whom I am sure I will be visiting at their various homes around the globe sometime in the future, and they all have a place to stay in San Francisco. This trip has been one adventure after another. Simply too much fun for one person. I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to travel the past 3 1/2 months. I have truly enjoyed every moment...even the times when I am six hours into a bus ride in sweltering heat, standing with people pressed against every side of me and toddlers tugging at my leg hair. It is all an experience to remember. There should be no wrong turns in life. Each step we take leads us to the next. Detours should be welcomed with open arms and an open mind. I certainly made no wrong turns on this trip.

Self Portrait


I make sure to be on the beach for every sunset. Amazing sunsets. Every night.


Buena Onda is currently building a large palapa for a full-scale bar and restaurant


Sunday night we piled in the back of a large flatbed truck with the palapa workers and headed out to the local hotsprings. One of them, Michael Sanchez, noticed the bracelet on my wrist and asked if it is from Si a la Vida, the Ometepe project where Alexis Bonoff works, which it is. Michael was himself a kid that grew up on the streets of Managua, sniffing glue and leading a life of turmoil, and was reahabilitated through the Si a la Vida project. His eyes lit up when talking about the project. He talked about how it rehabilitated his life. However, he also discussed a brief relapse of drinking and partying upon graduating from the project. But he found in religion structure and guidance similar to that which he received from Si a la Vida, and Si a la Vida had given him the skills to lead a responsible life. It is wonderful to see him working hard every day, as happy as anyone I've ever met. Great to see such success from the project after spending time with kids currently in the program on Ometepe. I am very happy for and proud of Alexis for contributing to such a wonderful program. Everyone should visit her blog at www.gallopintobonoff.blogspot.com.

The group hanging at the hotsprings

Thank you to everyone who has kept up with my blog. Muchas Gracias.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home